Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Cell phun

So it's been over 6 months since I 'upgraded' from a Treo 700e to a VX6800. I still like the bigger buttons and the bigger screen. The slider is fin. and the whole thing fits comfortably in my hand (if a tad too small).

No, my complaint is Microsoft. The phone is running Windows Mobile 6.0. It's supposed to sync with my laptop--and perform the second most valuable function which is to provide me with my contacts, calendar and notes when I'm away from my electronic ball & chain. And god bless Microsoft, they've found a way to screw even that simple function up. This Monday morning the phone lost its little mind, losing the connection with my computer and forcing me to 'restart' the sync. So, it erased the data and connection information on the phone, all ready to re-import my contacts and calendars from the laptop.

And then the ghost of Microsoft arose, with voices wailing and blood dripping down the walls. Windows Vista on my laptop didn't recognize my cellphone. Wouldn't connect to it. Wouldn't talk to it. It might have been a rock trying to talk to a tree for all my laptop cared.

So, for the last 3 days, I've spent countless hours trying to reconnect these two pieces of electronic goo. I'm ready to throw in the towel and go back to the old standby: a pen & paper personal planner.

Microsoft will make luddites out of us all.

IF you guys have any suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing from you.


--Shawn

No comments: